December 19, 2014
Location: Walsh Bay NSW
The disused Harbour Master’s office at Towns Place, Walsh Bay is a two-storey weatherboard structure on piers built in 1912-1913. Classified a significant heritage item, the building underwent a major conservation program as part of the urban renewal of the Walsh Bay precinct. Reworking the interior of this heritage site into a modern commercial office suite came with the challenge of installing all new services and fit-out without affecting the existing fabric. Existing walls, ceilings and windows were either painted white or restored to their original finish, and all new fixtures, fittings and furniture elements are designed as either modular, removable or repairable to heritage standards. Within the restored envelope, the fit-out is quiet and contemporary, the design utilizing the two-storey plan by separating administrative and executive functions. At street level, a smoke-grey mirrored reception desk sits on oak floorboards. Beyond is a meeting room and administrative offices partitioned with freestanding joinery units in charcoal or white-lacquer. Upstairs are the directors’ offices, kitchen, bathroom, entertaining area and the boardroom, enjoying northerly harbour views.