December 17, 2014
Location: Leichhardt NSW
The existing building has seen many uses since it was originally built as a munitions store facility for the department of defence in circa 1890. It appears to have been converted to residential use in the 1980’s and underwent a stylistic over lay in the transformation process which wasn’t in keeping with the industrial heritage character of the building. Indeed it lent more towards aspirations of provincial France!
The current owners are drawn to the buildings industrial origins and the design approach is informed by undoing the non-sympathetic interventions of the past conversion and striving for a clear read between what is the original building and the contemporary introductions. The key to this is considering how to stitch in these new functional requirements without undermining the original buildings character and articulating a clear read between past and present.